3 Mistakes to Avoid When Applying for a B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa | Silver Immigration - US Immigration Lawyer

3 Mistakes to Avoid When Applying for a B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa

As a Canadian citizen, you have one of the most powerful passports in the world, and you can travel to 184 countries without a visa. The US is on that list; however, you may need a B-1/B-2 tourist visa if your business or vacation plans span several months.

As with other visa applications, the B-1/B-2 tourist visa requires numerous documents and interviews, which can make it a tedious process. An experienced Montreal Immigration lawyer can provide guidance through the process, help you avoid common mistakes and answer any questions you have. Below, we explore what a B-1/B-2 tourist visa is and what mistakes to avoid during your application.

What Is a B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa?

To understand this kind of visa, it is necessary to know the purposes of B-1 temporary business visitor visas and B-2 temporary visitor visas. What is the most significant difference between them?

B-1 Temporary Business Visitor Visas

You will need this visa if you intend to conduct business in the US for a few months. You will need to meet one or more of the criteria below to be eligible. You must be:

  • Working as a consultant with business associates
  • Negotiating contracts
  • Settling an estate
  • Participating in short-term training
  • Conducting market research for a potential business venture
  • Attending a convention or conference

B-1 temporary business visitor visas should not be confused with investor visas. Unlike the B-1 temporary business visitor visas, investor visas are granted to those who wish to engage in new commercial enterprises benefitting the US economy through job creation and capital investment.

B-2 Temporary Visitor Visas

If you want to travel to the US for tourism, pleasure, or visitation reasons, you may consider this visa. You are eligible if you plan to participate in activities including:

  • Vacationing
  • Visiting friends or relatives
  • Seeking medical treatment
  • Performing for free as an amateur artist, musician, or athlete
  • Enrolling in a short recreational course of study that does not count for credit toward a degree

Both visa types will qualify you to stay in the country between one and six months. However, the length of your stay is at the discretion of the consular or embassy official.

What Are Some Mistakes to Avoid?

Consular or embassy officials may deny an application for a range of reasons, such as:

  1. Not explicitly stating that you will return to Montreal immediately after concluding your trip. To reassure officials that your stay is temporary, you should provide evidence that points to your strong ties to Canada. This evidence can include:
    · Proof of residence
    · Proof of employment or academic enrollment
    · Property ownership
    · Business operations or business ownership
    · Family ties
    · A round-trip ticket
    · Proof of insurance
    · Loans or other financial obligations
  2. Failure to show that you have sufficient funds to cover all your expenses during your visit. A knowledgeable immigration lawyer will help you create a plan to gather the necessary documents and advise you to present copies of your bank account statements for the last six months to convince officials.
  3. Failure to show that you have enough funds to cover your expenses during your visit. A US immigration lawyer will advise you to present copies of your bank account statements for the last six months to remove any doubts.

Your Montreal Immigration Lawyer

The US holds countless opportunities for both business and pleasure. To make the most of these opportunities, contact us at Silver Immigration. Our experienced US immigration lawyer will guide you through the process of successfully applying for a B-1/B-2 tourist visa. Call us today at 1 (888) 799-4769 or complete our online form to book your free consultation.