Working on get a Green Card

Green Card Success: Ottawa Residents Achieving US Permanent Residency

Are you an Ottawa resident seeking lawful permanent residency in the United States? Obtaining a US Green Card while living in Ottawa involves several steps and processes. The path you should follow depends on your circumstances, such as your family relationships, employment situation, or eligibility for other categories. 

At Silver Immigration, we have helped many Canadians, including Ottawa residents, obtain US Green Cards, and we’d love to help you discover the right immigration pathway for your situation. Let’s explore some common routes our Ottawa immigration lawyer has used to help Canadian residents achieve success with US Green Cards. 

Family Sponsorship

If you have close relatives who are US citizens or lawful permanent residents, they can petition for you to obtain a Green Card. US citizens can sponsor spouses, unmarried children under 21, parents, and siblings. Green Card holders can sponsor spouses and unmarried children. The sponsoring relative, the petitioner, will typically need to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Once the I-130 petition is approved, you must wait for a visa number to become available.

Immigration legislation establishes annual limits on the number of family-sponsored Green Cards, and visa numbers are issued based on preference categories and the relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary. If you are the spouse, unmarried child under 21, or parent of a US citizen, you don’t need to wait for a visa number. Instead, you are immediately eligible to apply for an immigrant visa or adjust your status. However, other preference categories, such as adult children and siblings, may face significant waiting periods due to visa backlogs.

Once you receive a visa number, you must apply for an immigrant visa at the US Embassy or Consulate in Ottawa.

Employment-Based Green Card

Are you planning to move to the United States for work? Then, the employment-based immigration program could be your pathway to Green Card success. 

If you have a job offer from a US employer, they can sponsor you for a Green Card. 

Before an employer can sponsor your Green Card application, they must obtain a labour certification from the U.S. Department of Labor. During the process, the employer must demonstrate that no qualified US workers are available for the position being offered to you as a foreign worker.

After receiving labour certification, the employer files Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The I-140 petition establishes your eligibility for a Green Card based on the specific employment-based preference category.

There are several preference categories within the employment-based green card system, including:

  • EB-1: Individuals with extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational executives and managers.
  • EB-2: Individuals with advanced degrees or exceptional abilities.
  • EB-3: Skilled workers, professionals with bachelor’s degrees and other workers.
  • EB-4: Special immigrant categories, including religious workers and employees of international organizations.
  • EB-5: Immigrant investors who create jobs through investment in a new commercial enterprise.

It’s important to note that each preference category has specific eligibility criteria and deadlines. Additionally, the process can be complex and subject to changes in immigration policies and visa number availability. Therefore, consulting an experienced Ottawa immigration lawyer is highly recommended to successfully navigate the employment-based Green Card process.

Special Programs

There are special Green Card programs for certain groups, such as religious workers and victims of crime, trafficking, or abuse.

The process and eligibility requirements for each category can change over time, so it’s essential to consult a qualified immigration lawyer for up-to-date information on the specific Green Card category that applies to your situation.

In general, the process involves:

  • Submitting an immigrant petition.
  • Undergoing a medical examination.
  • Undergoing background checks.
  • Attending an interview at a US embassy or consulate in Ottawa, if required.

Once your petition is approved, you will receive a visa to enter the US, and after entering, you will receive your Green Card.

Your Ottawa Immigration Lawyer

Whether you’re looking to reunite with loved ones, explore career opportunities, or need a change of scenery, our experienced Ottawa immigration lawyer can help you navigate the complex application process to achieve US Green Card success. 

Call us today or use our contact form to request an appointment to discuss your case.