245 Victoria Ave Westmount QC H3Z 2M6, Suite 620. / Ottawa: 1 Rideau, St Suite 700, Ontario K1N 8S7
Mon - Sat: 8.00 am to 6.00 pm

L-1 Visa – US Work Visa

The L-1 Visa category facilitates the transfer of employees from a foreign company to a US affiliate. To be eligible for an L-1 visa, the employee needs to have been continuously employed by the foreign company, in an executive, managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity, for at least one year in the preceding three years. Spouses and children of L-1 Visa holders may also secure dependent status. The L-1 category is separated into two subcategories, L-1A and L-1B.


  • L-1A is for employees performing managerial or executive assignments in the US. Generally, the maximum duration of stay is 7 years.
  • L-1B is for employees performing specialized assignments in the US. Generally, the maximum duration of stay is five years.


For an employee to transfer from their current office to a U.S. office, there must be a qualifying relationship between the organizations. Possible qualifying relationships include: 1) parent/subsidiary, 2) parent/branch office, or 3) affiliates. The Visa may also be secured to set up a new office in the U.S. If a company is consistently petitioning employees for L-1 status, a blanket petition can be used to speed up the process.


The L-1 Visa is a popular US Work Visa option as it paves the way to a green card and facilitates the movement of essential employees across borders. Canadians are able to apply for the Visa directly at the US/Canada border, reducing processing time and making the process simpler.


Looking for help securing an L-1 US Work Visa?


Silver Immigration can guide you through the process of obtaining a US Work Visa. Our team will help you understand your visa needs and assist you throughout the process of successfully acquiring an L-1 Visa. You can book a free consultation here or complete our contact form to speak with an immigration lawyer today.