510 Rue Hodge, Saint-Laurent, QC H4N 2A4
Mon - Sat: 8.00 am to 6.00 pm

Canadian/Mexican with a Bachelor’s Degree

Canadian/Mexican with a Bachelor’s Degree

TN Professional Visa

The TN professional visa is available for Canadian and Mexican professionals (those engaged in the trade of goods, the supply of services, or the conduct of investment activities) who are seeking temporary entry to the United States. A TN professional visa can be valid for up to 3 years and thereafter renewed – there is no limit as to the amount of renewals an applicant may secure. Dependents of those in valid TN status may be eligible for TD status.


The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (which superseded the North American Free Trade Agreement) lists the TN eligible occupations and the corresponding educational and/or experience requirements. The requirements for each profession vary, but generally a bachelor’s degree is needed to secure TN status. Please click here to see the list of the TN professions.


It should be noted that TN status cannot be used for self-employment. There are other more-suitable categories for such activities, such as E-1 or E-2.


While Canadian and Mexican citizens may both enjoy the benefits of TN status, there are several differences surrounding processes and procedures for applicants of each nationality. For example, Canadians can apply for TN status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or at select ports-of-entry. Whereas Mexican citizens must apply at a U.S. Consulate.


The TN Visa is one of the great advantages of the favorable diplomatic relationships between the North American countries, it facilitates the flow of labor and allows Canadians and Mexicans to further their careers by gaining valuable work experience in the U.S. If you would like to learn more about the TN Visa, call Silver Immigration now for your Free Consult.